In the Shadow of the Devil

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

FO: Capelet

In the interests of jump-starting the refashioning around here, I picked up a project that had been on the needles, languishing, since September. It’s the Anthropologie Capelet by Peony Knits. It was begun to wear over a vintage sundress to a friend’s wedding down in Malibu. As such, it’s knit from cotton yarn, which I abhor, but which I thought would be cooler. I’d tossed it into the WIP basket once I figured out I’d run out of yarn (gasp!), and wore a beaded shawl instead. With a little figuring, I adjusted the bottom edge of the capelet and had just enough yarn to get this far:

Anthropologie Capelet

A little shorter than I’d like, but at least it’s done.

Notes: This pattern is darling, and I’d really like to make one (a little snugger in the arms, a little longer) in wool, which I think would create fabric with the “memory” the capelet fronts require to look as cute as Peony’s. As for this one, it’ll get blocked and go in the closet, and I expect it’ll get occasional wear until I decide to cannibalize it (as soon as I can think of a pattern that requires cotton). I lost the ball band for the yarn, but I hate cotton, anyhow. The brooch which closes it is a piece of costume jewelery from my maternal grandmother’s collection; as girls, my mom would let us play with grandma’s costume jewelery, and I somehow managed to smuggle this brooch out of the house with me when I left home.

Also, Peony’s right: it looks better purl-side out, the texture makes it interesting:

Anthropologie Capelet

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home